Tuesday, September 23, 2003

Quoteworthy Monday

Affleck just follows me everywhere. I'm here for three days and already he's followed me. Bastard.

Since I'm not in the mood right now to make an actual post, I'm going to quote the movie Almost Famous, from a scene in which Philip Seymour Hoffman accurately the state of music in the early-70's, and actually manages to describe my opinion of it today.

LESTER BANGS
"Here's a theory for you to disregard completely. Music -- you know, true music, not just rock 'n' roll-- it chooses you. It lives in your car, or alone, listening in your headphones, you know, with the vast scenic bridges and angelic choirs in your brain. It's a place apart from the vast benign lap of America. Did you know that "The Letter" by the Box Tops was a minute and fifty-eight seconds long? Means nothing. Nil. But it takes less than two minutes to accomplish what Jethro Tull takes hours to not accomplish. (gestures to a copy of Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" LP) You see this? This is fatuous, pseudo blubber! But, to foist it off as art... Or The Doors? Jim Morrison? He's a drunken buffoon posing as a poet! Aw, give me the Guess Who. They got the courage to be drunken buffoons, which makes them poetic! Live 'American Woman'? The most brilliant piece of gobbledygook ever!"

With the exceptions of Springsteen, Mellencamp and Five Year Jacket (shameless plug for my friend's band), rock and roll is dead, yo. They're the only ones left who write songs that are actually about something.

AIM: therbmcc71
ICQ, MSN, Yahoo: Yeah, right, like I use those.

No comments: