Wednesday, October 08, 2003

The Cubs almost had the game tonight. I hope tonight's starting pitcher never throws another game in his entire life. ... That said...

So today was Judgment Day in California, and the Terminator is going to take office on Tuesday. God, I hope I'm not the only one who finds something inherently wrong with any number of people voting for a guy who doesn't have a plan, other than, "I'm going to fix things." I mean, getting into office without a track-record isn't that bad. Getting into office (let alone the office of Governor) without a fucking plan is completely beyond me. I don't know who to blame, whether it's the voters or the people who said, "Dude, you'd be a good governor. All you gotta do is sign this bill or veto that one."

And, granted, that's about the crux of being the governor of a state. At least, that's how it is for Illinois, but you have to look at this realistically: Jesse Ventura went into his gubernatorial campaign with a plan. ... And he acheived just about every goal of his plan during his first term in office. People voted for his plan, and they got it, and then somewhere during his second term, they all rebelled on him.

Personally, I'd give Arnold about a year and a half before the whole state rebels on him and mounts another recall. There are eighteen states in the country that have provisions for gubernatorial recall, and I'm willing to bet that the Republicans are going to (given their new success with California) are going to go after the remaining seventeen other states.

Now, given that little sentence, you might say, "Dude, what are you? The mortal enemy of Rush Limbaugh?" The answer, of course, is, "Yes I am," but you didn't let me finish. See, after those recalls are completed, then the Democrats just sit and bide their time, wait for nothing to get fixed, and then they go on recalls of their own. See, this is what happens in the two-party system. I used to laugh at Russia for their wacky run-offs after run-offs, until someone finally achieves a plurality (more than fifty percent, for those of us who don't remember our high school Poli-Sci class), but now it ain't such a bad idea. Furthermore, at least Russia goes with the popular vote, rather than an electoral college, but that's an argument for three years ago.

So, why am I writing all of this on a page that's pretty much devoted to movies? Because Arnold Schwarzenegger won, of course. I'm just trying to tie all of this into the underlying meaning of the page. Had I been the campaign guy for Gary Coleman, I'd have been running ads that said, "Vote for the other Arnold!" and put a picture of the young Gary Coleman up there. I'd have a picture of Arnold from Diff'rent Strokes up here, but Blogger doesn't allow it. Furthermore, I'd actually have to do some work for that, which I'd rather not do, given that I'm still working on the design for my next website. Anyway, you know the "Whatchu Talkin' 'Bout, Willis?" look, so just envision that, and that's what I'd have done.

And California's fucked up, anyway. I'd just as soon never, ever live there. I'm sure I probably will at some point, but once I have some money, then I'll be living in Nevada, and I'll just make the hellish commute to Hollywood. After all, California elected Reagan, who was elected President. Granted, the guy did some good stuff, but he set the precedent for hardcore deficit-spending, which is a concept that our current President has taken to new heights. God, and I remember when the national debt was only three trillion dollars. And if Bush gets re-elected, then it'll be up to ten trillion. And we were paying that shit down under Clinton.

And speaking of Clinton, you've got all these stories out about Schwarzenegger (let's just call him Arnold from now on, because I hate typing out that last name) sexually harassing women and praising Hitler and all of that. Kids, let's just remember that our last President was getting hummers in the Oval Office, and he did a pretty damn good job, domestically. You can argue all you want that we've still got troops in Kosovo or wherever, but the fact is the guy had his shit in order. Take care of America first, and just launch cruise missiles at anyone who pisses us off. Taking over Iraq for no good reason is not good fiscal policy, because it costs a shitload of money. Anyway, let's just hope that Arnold is a woman-groping fiend, rather than a staunch Republican like Dubya.

And that's my political rant for the year. I wouldn't have done this if Bustamante had won, and if Gallagher or Gary Coleman had won, then it'd have been iffy. But Arnold won, and so I think I'm justified in keeping with the movie topic. ... Do I even have any Arnold movies on DVD? Hm... Maybe I should pick up Total Recall tomorrow. Anyway, have a good day, and hope you're not living in California over the next eighteen months.

AIM: therbmcc71
ICQ, MSN, Yahoo: Yeah, right, like I use those.

No comments: