Monday, January 02, 2006

Darkness on the Edge of Town

Last night, as soon as midnight struck, people in my neighborhood started lighting off fireworks. Tons of them. I'm not sure what the reasoning for this is, except for perhaps as a sort of celebration that the year 2005 ended without George Bush causing a global nuclear exchange.

Today, Doug Flutie hit the first drop-kick that the NFL has seen since 1941. I didn't even know anything about this until two years ago at a Cubs game, when my uncle Justin about the changes that football and other sports have gone through over the years. Most of the football stories were about the sheer brutality of it all, but the part about dropping the ball on the ground and then kicking it through the uprights just seemed totally odd to me. What was even more odd was the fact that you could do it ahead of the line of scrimmage at one time. As I recall, the drop-kick wasn't even necessarily exclusively limited to the extra-point after a touchdown; that you could conceivably receive the ball, drop it to the ground and kick it through the uprights and get a point. Something like that, anyway. It's not something that's spelled out anywhere that I've ever seen. Hopefully there will be some clarification on this during tomorrow's newscasts.

Completely different subject: I know that I've often said that I am morally opposed to the addition of Lois Lane to the series Smallville, I think the show really picked up when she was added to the cast. First off, Erica Durance is hot, and I'll definitely pick up the next season of the show when it hits DVD, probably later this year. Second, the fourth season of the show, which I'm working my way through right now, is far and away better than the third season. I'm six episodes in, and there have been some good episodes, and some really funny parts, as opposed to the third season which... blah, blah, blah, Jor-El, blah, blah, blah, Lana. If they would just write those two parts out of the series, I'd be a lot happier. Leave everything else, just get rid of the Jor-El crap (and why the hell is Terrence Stamp the voice of Jor-El?), and kill off Lana Lang. I have no idea why it is that the series writers seem to have not yet figured out that the intelligent viewers hate her.

Anyway, I'm going to bed, because I have to open in the morning, and have to be out the door in six hours, and I've got another episode of Smallville to watch before I call it a night. I haven't enjoyed a season of television on DVD this much since I got the third season of Buffy and watched the entire thing in under twenty-four hours. I'm sure they'll probably throw some "filler episodes" in toward mid-season, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it right now, with the exception of the fact that I just watched a "body-switching" episode, which is what writers pull out of their asses when they're feeling particularly uninspired.


AIM: therbmcc71

No comments: