Tuesday, May 04, 2004

Momentary Break

I'm taking a moment to log in, partly to taunt my friend Scott, who is currently playing City of Heroes, or as I like to call it, "Shitty of Heroes," since it manages to so terribly malign everything that is good and original about comic books. But that's a rant for another time.
*** If you've noticed, whenever I say I'll talk about something later, I never get back to it. This might be one of those cases. ***

Still no luck finding the Apotheosis remix of "O Fortuna," which isn't terribly surprising since I hear that it was taken off the market fairly early on because of a dispute over royalties. Golly, and I thought they passed laws against writing operas after the year 1738, when a team of colonial-era musicologists decided that opera -as a form of respectable music- had been sliding downhill for about a hundred years, and therefore decreed it as dead, and anyone who wished to compose operas would have to forfeit all profits, as it's fucking opera (emphasis theirs). And then they looked over the papers of Nostradamus and gave special consideration to Pete Townshend and a few other people, by way of coining the phrase 'concept album.'

Anyway. I'm trying to figure out what to cut my FFX movie to. I converted the hour or so of cinematics into a pair of AVI files, which total just shy of 300 megs. I went with a pair, because encoding each FMV file individually would require attention and couldn't be done while I sleep. Tack the soundtracks onto those, and it's probably fairly close to 700 megs, since the sound files are just .wav files encoded at a rather extreme 1536 kbits per second, or about a megabyte every five seconds. Sad thing is, I'm basically going to throw those away, because they'll just muddle up my sound.

But I digress. I was playing last night with cutting to Jet's "Are You Gonna Be My Girl," and then decided that it was going to be a real bitch to cut it to time, so I think I'm going to need something that's either heavier or slower, but not both. Jet's just too damn poppy. It'd be like cutting a video to an Avril Lavigne song. Still haven't found my copy of "Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness," so Smashing Pumpkins is temporarily out, although "Zero," "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and a couple of other songs would probably work pretty well.

Maybe I should become a cam-girl and get one of those Amazon wishlist thingies, so that people could buy me things like Final Fantasy 8 or the massive Evangelion box set. Downside to that is, guys can't be cam-girls, and there's probably some kind of social stigma against being a cam-guy. And, the women on the other end would probably want me to shave my chest. And my back.

Anyway...

And I think I have to run more tests on Premiere, because I'm not sure if it's cutting the videos properly, since I'm always concerned about frame-accuracy. It wasn't really a problem on my history project, but that didn't have cuts that had to happen right on a time-change and to a very particular frame of film. I feel like I'm back in high school cutting on VCR's, except the ones I used in high school were frame-accurate.

I need to go out and score some caffeine, before I get back to toying with this.


AIM: therbmcc71

No comments: