Sunday, August 08, 2004

Did I Remember to Turn the Webcam Off?

Far be it for me to ever question id Software, but Doom 3 is just too damn dark. Yes, it's moody, and yes it'll make you jump. It might even scare the shit out of you, as the promotional-videos for the game apparently had one of my friends a bit unnerved. But it's too fucking dark. Sure, that means that you never know where the monsters are going to be coming from, but it really doesn't help when you're getting the shit bludgeoned out of you and you still don't know where it's coming from. The Duct Tape Mod, courtesy of Glen Murphy, allows the shotgun and machine-gun to be used with the flashlight. Purists will say that it's on par with censoring films, like the removal of nudity from Titanic, but I see it as more along the lines of starting Titanic from the scene where Kate Winslet drops her robe and moving on from there. At least you can see what you're shooting at.

I realize that I haven't really stated an overall opinion on Doom 3, but this is because I've got a long way to go in the game, as I just now picked up the rocket-launcher. To give you some impression as to the overall mood of the game, I was playing a couple of hours ago and wasn't really having a problem with the game itself. I was just running around, checking my corners, sprinting down corridors with my chainsaw... the usual Doom stuff. My mom called me, and the vibration of my cell phone in my pocket scared the daylights out of me to the point where I nearly fell out of the chair. I mean, Christ... I thought one of those shamblers was brushing my leg, since I wouldn't put it past id Software to install some kind of Feel-Around driver in the game.

Speaking of changes in films we all know and may or may not love, I'm not sure whether or not I ever plugged Pink Five Strikes Back, which is this year's sequel to Pink Five, the Star Wars fan-film that won the George Lucas Selects award last year. The description for Pink Five Strikes Back is as follows:
The "totally awesome" saga of Stacey, the Pink Five fighter pilot continues as she treks to Dagobah, where Master Yoda trains her to be a Jedi. Kinda.
That's right, it's about a valley-girl X-Wing pilot. It's geeky as hell, and absolutely fucking hysterical, running concurrently with Empire Strikes Back. Apparently, a couple of weeks ago, Pink Five Strikes Back won the Audience Award at the Star Wars Fan-Film Festival. It's very much worth a watch, certainly on the level of Troops or any of the other classics of the genre.

I brought up Pink Five Strikes Back because I was watching a short film called Glass, and it's alright. I've seen better, and it's a far cry better than Fork, one of the other shorts over at morrisonfilm.com. In its entirety, not fantastic, but there is one moment in it that's absolutely drop-dead funny and was definitely worth linking to. I might add that the website in question also has a very good indictment of the worth of 3 Musketeers as a candy bar. The site's entertaining, so maybe one of these days, I'll link it up, but not today, since I'm lazy.

Rick James is dead, bitch. I found this shocking, as I seriously thought that he was going to be the next Keith Richards, at least in terms of his past drug-history being used to mummify himself from the inside and thereby live forever. For all of his hard-living, though, at least Rick James outlived the career of M.C. Hammer and was able to take "Super Freak" back for himself.

I've found that, in my begging for comments, that the comments are sometimes getting off-topic. Frankly, I don't find off-topic commenting cool in the least, and so I have decided to establish a fascist regime in which I will monitor future comments on the site for relevance and coherent thought and will delete those that don't fit this strict criteria. I don't think it's too much to ask.

And, I found a very nice compliment over on Fubar in the Politics forum. The topic was Celebrities Speaking Politics, and so I dug up a post I remembered from last year, in which Ben Affleck talked about that very subject, though he was speaking in regard to the then-impending war in Iraq. Affleck's post, In the Event of War, can be found here, in case you need a point of reference or out of mere curiosity. The compliment, courtesy of Mandarin, is as follows:
Umgawa, you're ten times the writer that Ben Affleck could ever hope to be. That brain-dead ass-clown couldn't even string a noun and a verb together properly when posting on the front page. You, you're eloquent and educated. You couldn't be more dissimilar.
Response from Lizzie when I told her this:
hahahhahahahaaaaaa ... he's gonna feel dumb

AIM: therbmcc71